Thursday, June 23, 2011

To be continued...

The time has come for me to say goodbye to Georgia, and somehow, I'm asking myself where the time went. Those cold winter days definitely moved at a snail's pace, but like every experience that comes to an end, you can't believe that you finally made it. I'm leaving Akhmeta tonight at midnight to catch my 4:40 a.m. flight, and after a solid 27 hours of travel (fingers crossed for delay-free travels) I will be back in the good ole U.S. of A. 


Although I'm beyond excited to return home, Georgia was good to me and there are definitely things I'm going to miss...Marshutka rides, horn honking hellos, cow and sheep herd crossings, the local draft (yes, I'm referring to beer), the nature, my celebrity statusfellow volunteers, and most of all, my Georgian family. These are just a few things, and some things, although I may not miss them, I will look back on them with fond memories and smile...Power outages, GMT (Georgia maybe time), constant stareing, forced feedings, irregular showering, roosters at any hour of night, skype dates and my bed :).

I've packed a lifetime of travel and memories into five months, so I will have many stories to share with you even after my return home...including my trip to Turkey and Greece, my cousin's wedding, various Georgian moments, and traveling cross-country for a week with my dad and Duke (you know this one is gonna be good :)

I don't know how to quantify this experience as it will be one that continues to teach me for a lifetime. I'm sure I've grown as a person (after all, I did celebrate my birthday here :) but only time, and the opinion of others, will tell. I'd like to thank you all for your love, support and encouragement throughout my time in the former USSR. Your outreach kept me sane and allowed me to feel like I was still a part of back home. And Georgia...you're a tiny little beast that will forever hold a place in every corner of my heart. It was nice to meet you, to know you, and to love you. I'm ready to go home, but I'm not ready to say goodbye. So for now… didi madloba (thank you very much!)

I beat Lani at her own beer game !

sheep crossing

TLG GROUP 11 !


2 comments:

  1. The burritos, guacamole and margaritas await, not to mention, big hugs and kisses! Pinky is coming home!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is mind blowing post thanks for sharing
    marriage bureau in jaipur

    ReplyDelete